When presenting your home to prospective buyers, first impressions are crucial. Buyers begin judging your home the moment they see it, and generally they prefer homes that are well-maintained, clean and clutter – free – homes they can picture themselves living in. That is why home improvements – particularly if they address the anticipated needs of buyers – can boost your home’s sale ability and sale price.
Here are few proven, cost-effective tips that will help your home look its best:
- Mow and rake the lawn, trim hedges, wed and edge gardens
- Sweep sidewalks and driveway, pick up any litter
- Repair gutters and eaves, touch up exterior paint
- Plant extra flowers for color, or place potted plants beside the front door
- Clean or paint front door, polish front door hardware, ensure doorbell works
- Clean and tidy the entrance, clear stairs and halls, store all excess furniture
- Brighten interiors with fresh, light-toned paint
- Brighten rooms by installing high wattage light bulbs and turning them on
- Shampoo carpets, clean and wax floors
- Organize kitchen countertops – removing appliances if necessary-to make them look spacious
- Clean kitchen countertops, cabinets, appliances, washer and dryer
- Organize and clean out closets to make them look larger
- Clean and freshen bathrooms, put out clean towels, minimize clutter
- Clean mirrors and windows so they sparkle
- Organize and clean garage and basement
- Perform necessary minor repairs and touch-ups to walls, windows, fixtures, etc.
Tips For Showings And Open Houses
- Be absent so buyers feel more comfortable making comments
- Light the fireplace, open the drapes, play quiet background music
- Keep pets outdoors
These are just a few ideas to get you started. I know what today’s buyers are looking for and can provide more ideas that will maximize your home’s appeal. Remember, a few easy improvements can produce big returns on your investment.